Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Why am I breathing so hard!?


Sometimes, just walking up the stairs makes me feel like I've just run a marathon. So you can imagine what it feels like when I'm actually exercising. For the first 10 minutes, I feel like the oxygen levels in the room has been reduced dramatically and I'm huffing and puffing like a crazy person. This just started to happen when I became pregnant...and there is a reason why! So if you have a baby in the belly and are feeling like you just can't catch your breath, here's why...and also why you should continue to exercise!

Respiratory changes during pregnancy*:
  • Increased over breathing
  • Increased O2 consumption, even when at rest

Effects of respiratory change on your daily exercise

  • Shortness of breath happens more easily
  • O2 consumption increases

Effects of exercise on the respiratory changes of pregnancy

  • Increase availability of O2
  • Improved VO2 max for up to a year after giving birth!
*adapted from the Prenatal and Postpartum Exercise Design curiculum by Gwen Hyatt, MS and Catherine Cram, MS

So what can you do to make sure that your breathlessness doesn't affect you or your baby adversly? Listen to your body. you should be able to carry on a conversation without gasping for breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment